Tom Brake, MP for Carshalton and Wallington, last Thursday (8th August 2013) visited the office of Prospects, the education, employment and training company, which provides a number of support services to help jobseekers in Carshalton and Wallington get back into work. Mr. Brake met jobseekers and saw first-hand the difference the support is making to increasing employment locally.
Mr. Brake joined a training session with customers to help them get ready for work. Mr. Brake also met customers who are prepared for work and actively seeking a job as they received support with job searches in the IT suite. Prospects provides support for unemployed people across London including Sutton, Merton and Croydon through the Work Programme and Moving Forward employment projects.
Mr. Brake also heard about the Go4it programme, which Prospects delivers across London to support teen parents and care leavers to return to education, employment or training. A Go4it Programme Adviser discussed the programme and its success in supporting vulnerable young people into Education, Employment & Training by offering holistic support to remove barriers they may face.
Andrew Gunter-Smith, Prospects Operations Director, said: “I am delighted Mr. Brake has been able to join us today to see firsthand the support we are providing for his constituents and meet customers and staff. It’s been great to talk to Mr Brake about the level and variety of personalised support which makes a real, lasting difference to people of all ages and situations who require our help.”
Mr. Brake MP, said: “It has been great to meet so many residents who are being supported by Prospects and see the activities which are making a positive difference, giving them the skills and confidence to find a job. I look forward to hearing updates on progress from those I have met today and have no doubt it won’t be long until many of them are back in work.”
Prospects is one of the largest providers of careers and skills advice which are targeted at unemployed adults and young people. We deliver programmes in London, the West Midlands and Yorkshire and Humber and the South West.
- END -
Notes to Editor
Prospects is a dynamic and enterprising group providing a wide range of education, employment and training services in the UK and internationally. At the heart of what we do is the drive to improve the life chances, abilities and aspirations of everyone we support. Each year we help more than a million people through our extensive range of high quality services. The Prospects Group has an annual turnover in excess of £100 million and employs more than 2,000 skilled and professional staff.
Our services include:
- National Careers Service in the community, offering face to face advice on learning and work in Greater London and Yorkshire and the Humber
- Work Programme which helps longer-term unemployed people back to work, as prime contractor in the South West and major sub-contractor in London and Bristol
- Targeted support helping NEET and vulnerable young people and those with learning difficulties and disabilities; Pathway services to care leavers
- Innovative approaches to rehabilitation of adults and young offenders in the community, and provision of the in custody element of the National Careers Service in all prisons in London and Yorkshire and Humber
- Ofsted Early Years Inspection Services across the Midlands and North of England
- Youth Contract, support for 16-17 year old NEET young people in London, the West Midlands and Yorkshire and the Humber
- Prospects Apprenticeships, training apprentices across the UK
- Academy sponsorship through Prospects Academies Trust
- Education consultancy, academy and school improvement services through Prospects Improve
- Leading Parent Partnership Award - promoting engagement of families in schools
- Educational resources for schools and careers advisers
- Entrepreneurship for young people in Wales
- South Cerney Outdoor Centre in Gloucestershire
- Events including regional careers and skills events across the UK such as Skills London, City Walks and award ceremonies
- Business support and networking
- Mutuals development services for public bodies
020 8315 1023