Prospects Work Choice Team in Bournemouth has been awarded an “Employee Excellence Award” by the Shaw Trust for its work to support people with disabilities to gain and sustain employment.
Work Choice is a Department for Work and Pensions programme which is supported by the European Social Fund. The programme supports people who have complex barriers to finding and sustaining employment and encourages a clear and measurable step-by-step journey towards greater independence for people with all types of disability. Prospects, the education, employment and training company, runs the scheme in Bournemouth on behalf of the Shaw Trust, a national charity which works with employers and social services to help people with disabilities find employment.
Flexible in design, the programme is individually tailored to help customers, with a variety of mental health issues, learning disabilities and difficulties along with physical barriers to reach their full potential. Pre-Employment Advisers see customers each week to work on confidence building, motivation and support such as CV writing, application and interview preparation. Once in work of a minimum of 16 hours a week, customers and their employers are able to receive regular support for up to two years.
Employer Engagement Advisers source vacancies, work trials and job opportunities for customers. Support such as disability awareness training for staff, to job coaching, employment rights and benefit information can also be provided for employers.
Grant McPherson, Prospects Work Choice Team Manager, said:
“We are delighted to receive this award which is an acknowledgement of the commitment and effort of the team as they support people with disabilities to achieve their potential. The Work Choice Team in Bournemouth are passionate about supporting customers and believe in them and that they can offer employers something special. The team possesses a wide range of skills and experience and works exceptionally hard to support customers.” Graham Faint, Prospects Operations Manager, said:
Prospects combination of delivering a target driven contract whilst retaining the ‘soft skills’ needed to support customers through their vastly differing disabilities has ensured success in supporting our Work Choice customers into the world of sustained employment. The team’s ability to rise to the challenge, their focus, commitment and ‘can-do’ attitude have led to them receive this award.”
Louise Jones, Shaw Trust’s Work Choice Supply Chain Operations Manager, said:
“The Prospects team has shown a determination and drive to achieve high results when faced with increasingly difficult challenges and obstacles. As a team, they have worked together to not only improve performance but also to develop new initiatives and change elements of the way they work in order to continue to grow the contract in Bournemouth and support customers to achieve successful outcomes. I am pleased we are able to recognise their hard-work and achievements through this award.”
- END -
Notes to Editor
• Photo caption: The Work Choice Team receives their award. From L to R: Louise Jones (Shaw Trust Operation/Supply Chain Manager), Grant McPherson (Prospects Work Choice Team Manager), Elizabeth Collier (WC Advisor), Jane Townsend (WC Advisor), Charli Ball (WC Advisor), Linda Wilson (WC Advisor) • Case studies are available should you require them.
Prospects is a leading education, employment and training company, working nationally and internationally. We estimate we help more than one million people each year, through an extensive range of high quality services. We are one of the first and largest new employee owned mutual companies, with shares owned by managers and staff.
Our services include;
- Careers services for adults and young people –including the National Careers Service in three regions
- Advice and guidance for offenders in custody, in Greater London and Yorkshire and Humber
- The Work Programme, the government's major initiative to help long term unemployed people back to work, in the South West, London and Bristol
- Ofsted Early Years Inspection Services in the Midlands and North of England
- Youth Contract targeted support for young people aged 16-17 in the West Midlands and Yorkshire and Humber
- An extensive range of education consultancy and school improvement services
- Academy sponsorship through Prospects Academies Trust, an independent charity supporting the development of Academies and Free Schools.
We are also widely recognised for expertise in events management, recruitment, community regeneration and educational resources. Gabbitas, one of the most trusted names in independent education, is part of the Prospects Group.