PRESS RELEASE - Young people in Milton Keynes have a go at apprenticeships
More than 300 young people had the chance to try their hand at apprenticeships on Monday at the biggest event taking place in Milton Keynes as part of National Apprenticeship week at MK Dons. The event to celebrate National Apprenticeship Week was organised by the National Apprenticeship Service and Connexions which is delivered in Milton Keynes by Prospects, the leading education, employment and training company.
More than 30 employers and training providers including John Lewis, Mercedes, Unilever and Milton Keynes College attended the event to speak to young people about their options when they finish school, particularly apprenticeships. Young people also met current apprentices to hear first-hand about the benefits of completing an apprenticeship. Have a go areas gave young people the opportunity to try their hand at different skills including making a tea bag, using a 3D modelling machine, electronics and putting up hair using hairdressing blocks.
Baltic Apprenticeships immediately invited some of the young people who had impressed them most to interviews on Tuesday and Wednesday at the Connexions Milton Keynes centre. The employers are seeking young people to fill current vacancies for level 3 IT Apprenticeships with Computacenter.
Alexa Wilkinson, Prospects NEET and Tracking Manager at Connexions in Milton Keynes, said: “It was great to see so many young people finding out about alternative options when they finish school. Apprenticeships offer the opportunity to learn while you earn, something which is a real advantage in the current economic climate. Completing an apprenticeship gives you a qualification and work experience which can be used as a springboard for the rest of your career. It’s fantastic that employers with vacancies have been able to join us today to meet young people and potentially find new recruits.”
Liz Coughlin of the National Apprenticeship Service, said: “It’s great to be celebrating National Apprenticeship Week by introducing so many young people to the benefits completing an apprenticeship can offer. Giving young people the opportunity to hear from apprentices and have a go at some of the activities local employers offer their apprentices has been great. I hope more young people will have been encouraged to consider apprenticeships when considering their options after finishing school.”
Find out more about apprenticeships and local vacancies in Milton Keynes by visiting www.apprenticeships.org.uk.
If you are a teenager not in employment, education or training you can get help, advice, guidance and information on your career by contacting Connexions in Milton Keynes on 01908 398300.
- END -
Notes to Editor
• You can find the Welsh Assembly Government announcement of the Youth Entrepreneurship Services here
• The Youth Entrepreneurship Services is part funded by the European Regional Development fund.
• Further information on the Youth Entrepreneurship Strategy is available on www.BigIdeasWales.com
Prospects is a leading education, employment and training company, working across the UK and internationally. We estimate we help more than one million people each year, through an extensive range of high quality services.
We are one of the first and largest new employee owned mutual companies, with shares owned by managers and staff.
Our services include;
- Careers services for adults and young people –including the National Careers Service in three regions
- Advice and guidance for offenders in custody, in Greater London and Yorkshire and Humber
- The Work Programme, the government's major initiative to help long term unemployed people back to work, in the South West, London and Bristol
- Ofsted Early Years Inspection Services in the Midlands and North of England
- Youth Contract targeted support for young people aged 16-17 in the West Midlands and Yorkshire and Humber
- An extensive range of education consultancy and school improvement services
- Academy sponsorship through Prospects Academies Trust, an independent charity supporting the development of Academies and Free Schools.
We are also widely recognised for expertise in events management, recruitment, community regeneration and educational resources. Gabbitas, one of the most trusted names in independent education, is part of the Prospects Group.
020 8315 1522
020 8315 1023