News Release - Prospects shortlisted for Mayor's Fund for London Awards
Prospects, the education, employment and training company has been shortlisted for the Pre-employment Training and Job Brokerage Provider of the Year award as part of the inaugural Mayor’s Fund for London Awards.
Prospects was shortlisted for its provision of Moving Forward, a targeted support programme for those who had recently begun claiming jobseekers allowance and lone parents, which helped almost 300 jobseekers find employment.
Moving Forward was funded via Flexible Support Fund through the South London District Jobcentre Plus. Prospects delivered the project in five boroughs across South London including Croydon, Southwark, Greenwich, Lambeth and Lewisham.
The programme targeted two specific groups of jobseekers; those who had been claiming jobseekers allowance for 13 weeks or fewer and lone parents affected by the benefit cap. Customers were referred by Jobcentre Plus and supported by Prospects staff to get back to work through a 13 week programme of tailored support, which addressed individual barriers to employment.
Jonathan Starling-Cross, Operations Director for Prospects, said:
“I’m delighted we have been shortlisted for Mayor’s Fund for London Awards for our provision of Moving Forward. Our quality programme included innovative support such as Employer Walks which provided customers and local employers with the opportunity to meet. We exceeded the targets of Moving Forward and as a result nearly 300 people have had their lives changed through finding a job.”
The Mayor’s Fund for London Awards seek to acknowledge those individuals and organisations who have demonstrated initiative and enterprise, innovation and creativity and shown an understanding and commitment to the improvement of employment opportunities for young Londoners. View the full shortlist here. The winners will be announced at the Awards night on Wednesday 7 May at City Hall.
- END -
Notes to Editor
Moving Forward customer case studies available on request.
About The Mayor’s Fund for London
The Mayor’s Fund for London exists to give young Londoners the skills and opportunities to get a decent job, escape the threat of poverty and play a full part in London’s future as the greatest city on Earth.
The work of the Mayor’s Fund for London focuses on three priorities:
• Health and Well-being - Helping young Londoners to be engaged, healthy and motivated to learn
• Skills- Extra support for core skills which employers say are absolutely essential, particularly numeracy and literacy
• Employment - Supporting employers to create decent and sustainable career prospects for young Londoners
For more information please visit: www.mayorsfundforlondon.org.uk
The Prospects Group is a dynamic and enterprising organisation providing a wide range of education, employment and training services in the UK and internationally. At the heart of what we do is the drive to improve the life chances, skills and aspirations of everyone we support. Each year we touch the lives of more than a million people through our extensive range of high quality services. The Prospects Group has an annual turnover in excess of £100 million and employs more than 2,000 skilled and professional staff.
Our services include:
• National Careers Service in the community, offering face to face advice on learning and work as prime provider in Greater London, a partner in Careers Yorkshire and the Humber and a major subcontractor in the West Midlands and Bristol
• Work Programme which helps longer-term unemployed people back to work, as prime contractor in the South West and leading subcontractor in London and Bristol
• Targeted support helping NEET and vulnerable young people and those with learning difficulties and disabilities, including Pathway services to care leavers
• Innovative approaches to rehabilitation of adults and young offenders in the community, and provision of the ‘In Custody offer’ of the National Careers Service in all prisons in London, Yorkshire and the Humber
• Ofsted Early Years Inspection Services across the Midlands and North of England
• Youth Contract, support for 16-17 year old NEET young people in London, the West Midlands, Yorkshire and the Humber
• Prospects Apprenticeships, training apprentices across the UK
• Academy sponsorship through Prospects Academies Trust
• Education consultancy, academy and school improvement services through Prospects Improve
• Leading Parent Partnership Award - promoting engagement of families in schools
• Educational resources for schools and careers advisers
• Entrepreneurship for young people in Wales
• South Cerney Outdoor Education Centre in Gloucestershire
• Events including regional careers and skills events across the UK such as Skills London, City Walks and award ceremonies
• Business support and networking
• Mutuals development services for public bodies
The Prospects Group includes Gabbitas, independent education consultancy and CfAppointments, specialist recruitment services. We are also the partner in 3BM, an employee-owned Mutual providing support services to the education sector.
020 8315 1023